Thursday, July 19, 2012

Your Crazy Step-Mom?

The last we saw of that crazy mom eL., she was single and living in Tennessee, chasing after a tiny princess and a very mischievous frog/pirate/Batman.  A lot has happened over the Your Crazy Mom hiatus… it's called life.

My existence on this planet has always had a flair for the dramatic.  I've often lamented that the stuff that happens to me just doesn't happen to normal people.  The recent twist my life has taken is no different.  Though this time, rather than being something resembling a scrap from the floor of a horror flick editing room, I got the fairytale.

Here's a brief synopsis of what has happened in 2012.  For some, this story might be old news, but it is one that I love telling…

Back in high school I met this boy named Chris.  He was the quarterback who dreamed of someday becoming a cop.  I was the girl who frequently shaved her head and got suspended for smoking in the bathroom.  He wore polo shirts; I wore tie-dye. We were a strange combination, but we were best friends.  After graduation, he joined the Army and I chose a less favorable (and less legal) path.  We were still close, frequently writing letters and making long distance phone calls, but he disapproved of my new lifestyle and friends.  Ultimately, I chose the party life over our friendship and it has been a choice that I have regretted ever since.

When I finally put my life back together and defogged what remained of my brain cells, I tried desperately to find him.  For years, I wrote letters that were returned undeliverable and made calls to disconnected numbers.  I asked all of our mutual friends about him, but no one knew how to contact him.

Eventually, I moved on and started a family of my own.  But I never forgot him. Seven years later, he found me on MySpace.  We were both married with children and living on the opposite ends of the US.  We stayed in contact for about a year until life pulled us in separate directions again. Four years passed since last we talked and then I received a random message on Facebook, "Hey stranger.  How have you been?"

Six months later, I am living in a brand new house at the beach.  Now, rather than having just two rugrats tattletaling, drawing on the hardwoods with Sharpies, and incessantly screaming "MOM!" I have FIVE.  I also have the man that I have loved my entire life here to help me from losing what remains of my brain cells.
This is a new journey and it's going to be a fun one.  Hilarity will certainly ensue.  What else could be expected of Your Crazy Mom/Step-Mom? Stay tuned...


For more on Your Crazy Mom visit us at www.yourcrazymom.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment